[DRBD-user] Xen live migration on top of DRBD 8.3.1 & heartbeat floating IP stacked devices

Lars Marowsky-Bree lmb at suse.de
Fri Jul 17 11:13:06 CEST 2009

On 2009-07-16T10:58:56, Adam Wilbraham <adam.wilbraham at technophobia.com> wrote:

> Currently if I do a "xm migrate test-domu host2 --live" then the running
> domU gets migrated but the storage backend doesn't which is to be expected
> in the setups current state.

Yeah, you really shouldn't migrate resources outside the cluster
manager's control.

> If I manually force a failover using heartbeat
> then the drbd device moves over, but its too late by this point as the
> running domU has already lost the storage. What I'm trying to establish is
> whether its theoretically possible to do what I'm trying to do - trigger a
> migration which doesn't complete until the underlying device has been
> migrated over by heartbeat. I believe that live migration relies on the
> allow-two-primaries functionality of DRBD which is physically impossible
> using a floating resource like in my setup. Has anyone had any experience
> with configuring a system like this?

Did you try setting the "allow-migrate" meta-attribute?

But yes, that requires that all resources are either clones or able to
migrate. I'm not sure what you want to do is currently possible out of
the box.

> The contents of this email are confidential to the addressee
> and are intended solely for the recipients use. If you are not
> the addressee, you have received this email in error.
> Any disclosure, copying, distribution or action taken in
> reliance on it is prohibited and may be unlawful.
>
> Any opinions expressed in this email are those of the author
> personally and not TechnoPhobia Limited who do not accept
> responsibility for the contents of the message.
>
> All email communications, in and out of TechnoPhobia,
> are recorded for monitoring purposes.

You know, this kind of signature in a public discussion is kind of
awkward.

Regards,
    Lars

--
Architect Storage/HA, OPS Engineering, Novell, Inc.