[DRBD-user] master/master over WAN with GFS

Lars Ellenberg lars.ellenberg at linbit.com
Tue Jul 14 18:37:47 CEST 2009

On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 05:58:14PM +0200, Lars Marowsky-Bree wrote:
> On 2009-07-06T20:16:26, Mikel Jimenez <mikel at irontec.com> wrote:
>
> > The users in LAN of A would access to server A and the users in LAN of B
> > would access to server B.
> > When I user access to the webmail or A looks the same that looks from B.
> >
> > We have a simetrical VPN between two sites.
> >
> > How does DRBD result    in this type of environment?
> >
> > I think that the best is "Protocol A" and Im looking for use DRBD-Proxy
> > for compression, or Openvpn + LZO.
> >
> > Opinions?
>
> The latency overhead - both DRBD and at the locking layer - will kill
> the file system performance.

appart from that, with dual-primary you _MUST_ replicate syncronously,
thus: DRBD protocol C.
for (hopefully) obvious reasons.

I still have this idea of implementing a replication aware
cluster file system locking layer mode, where lock _requests_ would be
inserted into (or at least in order with) the replicated data stream, so
it could be replicated asynchronously in theory.

IFF it can be made to work, that is probably several manyears
developement, though -- roughly estimated ;)

--
: Lars Ellenberg