[DRBD-user] drdb and device-mapper problem

Simon Eisenmann simon at struktur.de
Mon Jul 13 15:55:45 CEST 2009

Hi,

i am trying to set up a drbd device on top of lvm following the howto on
http://www.drbd.org/users-guide/s-nested-lvm.html. Everything works just
fine and the device comes up without any problem.

Though then i reboot the machine, the drbd device does not come up any
more (ever again) failing with "Lower device is already claimed."

I am using the filter in lvm.conf as suggested in the howto and also did
recreated the initrd to make sure it is using the same filter on boot.
Though this problem still comes up.

After some debugging i found out that the device manager has already
loaded the lvm lv "replicated-foo" on boot (done by udev), which
prevents drbd to get the disk.

I am using "Ubuntu 9.04" with the default Ubuntu packages for drdb and
lvm2.

Udev device mapper stuff happens in /lib/udev/rules.d/65-dmsetup.rules -
i believe this file needs some sort of tweak to ignore signatures
following a special name scheme (eg replicated-*) and not on a drbd
device.

Did anyone encounter this issue before?

Best regards
Simon

--
Simon Eisenmann

[ mailto:simon at struktur.de ]

[ struktur AG | Kronenstraße 22a | D-70173 Stuttgart ]
[ T. +49.711.896656.0 | F.+49.711.89665610 ]
[ http://www.struktur.de | mailto:info at struktur.de ]