[DRBD-user] How to turn a logical volume into a drbd device?

Florian Haas florian.haas at linbit.com
Thu Jul 2 10:36:50 CEST 2009

On 2009-06-29 15:09, Rainer Sokoll wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a logical volume (containing a Xen virtual machine) that I want
> to have in a drbd resource.
> I have tried to dd from the LV to the drbd device (which is slightly
> bigger than the LV, since I want to use internal meta data), but then
> Xen's bootloader failed.
> Is there a "best practice"?

Why are you doing a dd from on device to another? You could have just
extended your LV slightly to make room for your metadata, then simply
convert to a DRBD device in-place.

And for your bootloader issue, for legacy Xen versions please see this
thread:
http://lists.linbit.com/pipermail/drbd-user/2008-September/010222.html

This bootloader brain damage appears to be fixed in Xen 3.3 as found,
for example, on SLES 11.

Cheers,
Florian