[DRBD-user] DRBD 8.3.1 linux 2.6.27.25-highmem Crash

Philipp Reisner philipp.reisner at linbit.com
Wed Jul 1 16:24:06 CEST 2009

On Tuesday 30 June 2009 10:08:18 Tim Evers wrote:
> Tim Evers schrieb:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a iSCSI SAN server using drbd in the backend. This results in atm
> > 32 logical volumes each with drbd on top and exported via iscsi.
> >
> > During normal operation everything is fine. But if I fire up a new drbd
> > device (drbdadm up res or drbdadm adjust res) sometimes (about 1 out of
> > ten times) the machine crashes with kernel panic.
>
> In the meantime I have investigated the problem further and was able to
> make a partial snapshot of the trace resulting from the crash:
>
> At first I tried to simulate the problem with a test machine running the
> exact copy of the production machines software (Linux Version, Kernel,
> iscsi-target and drbd) while only having 1 raid controller.
>
> In this configuration I was not able to reproduce the error while
> posting heavy load through iscsi and local disk activity and
> simultaneously creating, modifying and removing drbd devices.
>
> Last night I configured aroung 40 new drbd devices on the production
> machine and got a crash after about 35 configured devices. I made a
> screenshot from my kvm screen during the crash:
>
> http://www.massaker.de/crash_trace_small.png

Hi Tim,
This is of course very interesting, but that partial call trace is
unfortunately useless.

You have to try to get a full trace. E.g. by using a serial console or
netconsole.

-Phil
--
: Dipl-Ing Philipp Reisner
: Tel: +43-1-8178292-50, Fax: +43-1-8178292-82

DRBD(R) and LINBIT(R) are registered trademarks of LINBIT, Austria.