[DRBD-user] drbd device not ready on reboot

Michael Grant mgrant at grant.org
Fri Jan 23 14:46:10 CET 2009

I'm in the process of building my cluster.  I have one node up named
a.example.org.  However, when I boot this machine (a), the boot
process blocks with this message:

 DRBD's startup script waits for the peer node(s) to appear.
 - In case this node was already a degraded cluster before the
   reboot the timeout is 120 seconds. [degr-wfc-timeout]
 - If the peer was available before the reboot the timeout will
   expire after 0 seconds. [wfc-timeout]
   (These values are for resource 'vm1-root'; 0 sec -> wait forever)
 To abort waiting enter 'yes' [  340]:

In my case, the peer (I assume b is the peer) has never been
available.  Therefore, this node should have been a degraded cluster
before the reboot, hence, the timeout should be 120 seconds, but the
counter keeps on ticking and ticking, so it seems there's a problem
here.

Did I do something wrong?  How do I convince a that it is a degraded
cluster and to come up with my drbd devices ready?

drbdadm -v reports this:

Version: 8.0.13 (api:86)
GIT-hash: ee3ad77563d2e87171a3da17cc002ddfd1677dbe build by
phil at fat-tyre, 2008-08-04 15:28:07

I have the following in my drbd.conf file (taken from the sample.conf):

resource vm2-root {
  protocol C;
  handlers {
    pri-on-incon-degr "echo o > /proc/sysrq-trigger ; halt -f";
    pri-lost-after-sb "echo o > /proc/sysrq-trigger ; halt -f";
    local-io-error "echo o > /proc/sysrq-trigger ; halt -f";
    outdate-peer "/usr/lib/heartbeat/drbd-peer-outdater -t 5";
  }
  startup {
  }
  disk {