[DRBD-user] Mount filesystem on both servers?

Peter Funk pf at artcom-gmbh.de
Thu Jan 22 15:17:44 CET 2009

Stefan Seifert:
> But be advised, that running primary/primary with a cluster file system adds
> much complexity to an already complex system. Most probably, you just want to
> use NFS to access the files on the primary node from the secondary. Should be
> enough for most cases and is easier to handle and thus less error prone.

Hmmm... What about file-locking?

Normally a rpc.statd is required for this to work, which for example on
Ubuntu Linux is started as part of the package/service nfs-common.
Since rpc.statd will be started by /etc/init.d/nfs-common it is needed
---as the name `common` already suggests--- on both the NFS server and
NFS client sides.

Unfortunately /var/lib/nfs which is in turn needed by rpc.statd to start
up has to be kept on the shared DRBD to avoid stale nfs file locks
on any clients after a failover switch.

Together with heartbeat it is not that simple to exchange the roles
of the NFS server and the NFS client between two nodes back and fourth.

At least as I insisted on using heartbeat r1 style config files because
I wanted to avoid the fancy and IMHO rather complex XML cluster resource
manager files introduced with heartbeat 2.x I ran into severe problems
and had to give up for the time being.

I would love to read any clever suggestions to overcome the conflict
outlined above.

Regards, Peter
Peter Funk, ✉Oldenburger Str.86, D-27777 Ganderkesee
office: ArtCom GmbH, ✉Haferwende 2, D-28357 Bremen, Germany
tel:+49-421-20419-0 cell:+49-179-640-8878 <http://www.artcom-gmbh.de/>