[DRBD-user] mount a LVM with detached DRBD device - write data possible without corruption?

Ekkard Gerlach ekkardgerlach at aiai.de
Sun Jan 18 21:24:51 CET 2009

* Tomasz Chmielewski schrieb:

> Papp Tamas schrieb:
> >Ekkard Gerlach wrote:
> >>Can I write to the according lv-device when DRBD is stopped by
> >>"drbdadm down /dev/drbd1"
> >>and lv is mounted by 'mount /dev/vg-ford2/vserver-home /mnt' without
> >>data corruption? -
> >>DRBD is set up on  logical volumen!
> >>

> >Of course not.
>
> It's enough to mount the device (without writing any "real files") to
> make it inconsistent with DRBD metadata.

OK, thx. But if this device on a separate harddisk is NEVER in use with DRBD? - Its used
only if my system with 2 nodes crashes completely, when I need a copy to build a complete new
DRBD-system! For this case once again my question: if I write to that device on a separate
harddisk partition (that was formatted originally as DRBD-device) - is that device
usable for a NEW DRBD-system where this harddisk is primary from beginning/ the start?

Perhaps you don't understand my aim. Background what I want:
node2 of my DRBD-system has only ONE harddisk, node1 has 2 disks
in soft-raid1. node2 is only a emergency and backup node.
The second harddisk of node2  is a standalone disk with backup
of the last day. Every night data ist rsync'ed to that second harddisk:

node2:~>hb_standy all  # not necessary, node2 is always secondary on all vservers
node2:~>drbdadm down all
node2:~>mount -o ro /dev/vg-ford2/vserver-home /to_sync-ro
node2:~>rsync -aHx /to_sync-ro  ==> my second harddisk
node2:~>drbdadm up all

The second harddisk is a dd-copy of the first one of node2!
I changed UUID of physical volume and volume group and
renamed volume group of the second harddisk. Now I have a entirely redundant
harddisk for node2. Do you understand me now?
Only one logical volume carries user data that changes every day and I want
to update my second harddisk every night.  So I've two benefits:
   * data from yesterday. Perhaps for restoring lost (deleted) or corrupted files
   * a complete harddisk build a new DRBD-system if my running system crashes.

==> once again my question: can I update my second emergency and last-day-backup
harddisk every night without data corruption?

BTW: I know that LVM is backup'ed with rsnapshot easily. I choosed the way
     with rsync because I've lots of good experiences with rsync.

Ekkard