[DRBD-user] protocol D: non blocking, async protocol?

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Fri Jan 16 16:52:08 CET 2009

Lars Ellenberg schrieb:

>> So that local writes would be almost as fast as a local media allows;
>> anything which was not transferred to the remote side would be marked as
>> "dirty" and transferred when the time/bandwidth/conditions permit.
>
> yes.
> will be implemented in drbd 9.
> will NOT be available within the next few month, though.
>
> meanwhile,
> consider disconnecting your DR site, and connect only during off hours.
> you will get a re-sync of the changes during that time.

Great to hear that such a feature will be implemented in DRBD.

Yes, basically what I do is transferring everything during off hours.
Over a compressed VPN link.

It's also worth to do (before the initial sync):

dd if=/dev/zero of=/bigfile
rm -f /bigfile

to zero-out any free areas - so that the VPN compression can squeeze
some extra bytes as DRBD synchronizes "free area".

--
Tomasz Chmielewski
http://wpkg.org