[DRBD-user] What is this? drbd_worker: (list_empty(&mdev->data.work.q))

Lars Ellenberg lars.ellenberg at linbit.com
Fri Jan 9 09:05:07 CET 2009

On Thu, Jan 08, 2009 at 11:56:59AM -0800, Alireza Nematollahi wrote:
> Hello,
>
> When DRBD sync is in progress, I keep seeing this message: drbd_worker: (list_empty(&mdev->data.work.q)), over and over:
>
> drbd0: drbd_worker: (list_empty(&mdev->data.work.q))
> drbd1: drbd_worker: (list_empty(&mdev->data.work.q))
> drbd2: drbd_worker: (list_empty(&mdev->data.work.q))
> drbd3: drbd_worker: (list_empty(&mdev->data.work.q))
>
> What is this

a failed assert, which should not happen,
but which we hopefully recover from gracefully, anyways.

> and why am I seeing this message?

because we log failed asserts.
and you read the logs.
both of which I consider good practise ;)

> And how can I get rid of it?

it suggests a logic bug in drbd.
track it down and fix it.

or get us to fix it.  which would mean that you need to provide enough
information for us to reproduce it, and motivate us to look into it.

DRBD version,
kernel version and architechture,
patches applied to that kernel,
patches applied to drbd?

how frequently is "over and over", exactly?

in which situation? during normal operation, during state changes?

anything else you should tell us about your setup?

--
: Lars Ellenberg