[DRBD-user] How to know which node was the last primary ?

Peter Sabaini peter at sabaini.at
Tue Jan 6 13:16:04 CET 2009

On Tuesday 06 January 2009 10:33:33 GAUTIER Hervé wrote:
> Peter Sabaini a écrit :
> > On Monday 05 January 2009 17:38:28 GAUTIER Hervé wrote:
> >> Hello and happy new year !
> >>
> >> just a simple question, as DRBD daemon should have this information:
> >> Is there any DRBD tool which gives which node was the last primary ?
> >
> > Not sure what you mean by "last" after what? Here's the documentation on
> > how to check the current network / disk states and roles:
> > http://www.drbd.org/users-guide-emb/ch-admin.html#s-check-status ,
> > including which disk has out of date data.
>
> Thank Peter for your reply.
>
> Unfortunately, I know well these states, but my question is in fact:
> In case of split brain (and at any time), does DRBD know which member
> still is or was primary ?
> Or each peer does not keep any information concerning the other ? And it
> will be to the clustering software to keep this information ?

Hm, you probably can parse historical state data out of the kernel logfile;
otherwise I don't know if DRBD keeps past state data.

The other question is -- what are you going to do with this information? Have
you looked at configuring the split brain recovery policy? Maybe it already
does what you want.  See http://www.drbd.org/users-guide-emb/s-configure-
split-brain-behavior.html#s-automatic-split-brain-recovery-configuration

peter.