[DRBD-user] Using DRBD for asychronous off-site disaster recovery replication

Lawrence Weeks larry at 01.com
Fri Jan 2 23:10:02 CET 2009

Hi,

I have a couple questions about using DRBD to solve our problem. We are replicating disk based backups to a disaster recovery (DR) server, and also will copy that data to a remote site. We are looking for the best method to accomplish this. I'd like to get some feedback on using DRBD for this. The replication of the data definitely need not be synchronous, as the link will be fast Ethernet, or slower (VPN over public Internet). We don't mind if the replication of the DR copy of the backups takes a good bit of time to copy over.

We may want to use DRBD rather than rsync because the backup data consists of a huge number of small files, with hard links from one backup session to another. This isn't an ideal situation for rsync to manage, though using inotify as well is an option that we may test.

Another question is what facility is there with DRBD to "bootstrap" the data? If we replicate the two nodes, and then ship the second node to the remote site, is it best to write no data to the local DRBD node in the interim, or will it safely queue the replication up until the remote node is available?

Thank you.

Larry
--
Lawrence Weeks