[DRBD-user] Migrate data to bigger disks

Jürgen Scholz juergen at kernkraft400.com
Thu Feb 26 10:22:42 CET 2009

Hello!

> /dev/drbd0            230G  208G   11G  96% /data
> where 230G correspond to the old size of my disks.
You succeeded in resizing your block device.

> "mount" shows me that my file system is ext3. What do I have to do
> to use the existing disk
> space ? My first idea would be
Correct!

> umount /data
> resize2fs /dev/drbd0
> mount -o rw /dev/drbd0 /data
DO NOT DO THAT! IT WILL DESTROY YOUR FILESYSTEM!
I did that just a few days ago. - I've never had the need to resize an
ext3 fs before.
You need to remove the ext3 journal first. Then resize. And after that
add the journal again.
Remove: tune2fs -O ^has_journal /dev/drbd0
Add:    tune2fs -j /dev/drbd0

After my experience I looked at http://www.howtoforge.com/linux_resizing_ext3_partitions
- seems fairly complete.

> ... but as the data on the disk is rather important for our company,
> I would appreciate some
> confirmation that I'm not going to destroy anything.
I hope you have backup - in spite of drbd. ;-) drbd is _not_ to be
considered as backup.

hth,
  juergen