[DRBD-user] Dual Primary GFS Configuration

Serge Fonville serge.fonville at gmail.com
Sat Feb 14 21:53:02 CET 2009

Hi,
I am setting up a two node cluster with DRBD on gentoo amd64.
I have done quite some research and am pretty sure about what I want.
I have 5 partitions on a single disk:

> /boot

swap

/

/mnt/data

/mnt/drbd

I chose GFS as the file system and compiled my kernel with the distributed
lock manager.
Both nodes have a couple of cluster-aware services that cannot use a
replicated resource for clustering
and some that aren't cluster-aware and therefore can use it.
The most unclear part presently is the contents of cluster.conf (which seems
to be required for GFS)
At some places it is said that <cman></cman> should be empty, others state
it should contain configuration geared towards two nodes
Some say that fencing should be manual, others say it doesn't.
The position where DRBD should be started seems to be unclear also, probably
before GFS and after cman.
Since I do not use redhat cluster suite, I do not entirely understand how
cluster.conf is used by GFS (to me it seems 'just a file-system')

Perhaps this is not exactly the right place, but here I would expect the
people that have been in the same (or at least similar) situation

Thanks a lot in advance

Serge Fonville