[DRBD-user] LVM on drbd confused?

Hari Sekhon hpsekhon at googlemail.com
Fri Feb 13 15:42:39 CET 2009

I am trying to set up a new drbd with lvm on it this time, and after doing

# pvcreate -ff /dev/drbd0
  Physical volume "/dev/drbd0" successfully created

I get a message which indicates some confusion:

# pvs
  Found duplicate PV m8M0tNOCx83QS53D07kybsEDl8oNt4X6: using /dev/sdb1
not /dev/drbd0
  Found duplicate PV m8M0tNOCx83QS53D07kybsEDl8oNt4X6: using /dev/drbd0
not /dev/sdb1
  Found duplicate PV m8M0tNOCx83QS53D07kybsEDl8oNt4X6: using /dev/sdb1
not /dev/drbd0
  PV         VG         Fmt  Attr PSize   PFree
  /dev/sda2  VolGroup00 lvm2 a-   931.19G 880.69G
  /dev/sdb1             lvm2 --    14.55T  14.55T

I don't think it should be touching /dev/sdb1 in case it screws the drbd
block device from underneath, there isn't any mention of this behaviour
that I can see in the drbd users manual, can anyone point me in the
right direction on how to handle this or if it's a problem at all?

Also, this is a 16TB block device created with the very latest
drbd-8.3.0 , which was 16TB, so how come doing a pvcreate has left me
with 14.55TB, is there really 1.5TB in activity log due to drbd??

Cat /proc/partitions seems to think the drbd device is bigger than
that... perhaps I'm misinterpreting but I'd like to know where all that
space went.

# cat /proc/partitions
major minor  #blocks  name

   8    17 15624999983 sdb1
147     0 15624523104 drbd0

-h

--
Hari Sekhon
Always open to interesting opportunities