[DRBD-user] What happens after both nodes have gone down?

Maros Timko timkom at gmail.com
Fri Feb 13 10:59:54 CET 2009

Hi Martin,

I would say self explanatory of DRBD users' guide (
http://www.drbd.org/users-guide-emb/re-drbdconf.html) and example drbd.conf
file states:
startup
 This section is used to fine tune DRBD's properties. Please refer to
drbdsetup(8) for a detailed description of this section's parameters.
Optional parameters: wfc-timeout, degr-wfc-timeout, wait-after-sb and
become-primary-on.

The thing that people usually realised too late is that default setting for
wait-for-connection setting is 0 which means wait for peer connection
forever or manual intervention. Such setting will block your boot up process
in case DRBD service is started at boot up time.
 Re 2A) No, if you set reasonable wait for connection timeout interval. The
same is true for your cluster manager here. Only node that has UpToDate data
set can become Primary - it depends on how much changes with which speed
have to be synced into B until it will become consistent and be able to be
promoted into Primary role.
 Re 2B) The same as 2A, however DRBD will most likely detect split brain
after devices get connected as there were changes on both nodes since
disconnection.

You are right, DOPD only works if there is at least one cluster manager
communication path left when DRBD communication is interrupted. So when one
node goes down immediately, there is no way to set its data as outdated.

With regards.