[DRBD-user] Problems after upgrade 8.2.0 to 8.3.0

Lars Ellenberg lars.ellenberg at linbit.com
Mon Feb 9 23:36:32 CET 2009

On Mon, Feb 09, 2009 at 01:04:37PM -0800, John Du wrote:
>>> I still do not understand why iostat only shows DRBD devices on this
>>> particular node with 8.2.7 and 8.3.0 but not other nodes with the
>>> same  hardware, same Linux Kernel and same DRBD version.
>>>

>> io stats accounting was introduced only in drbd-8.0.12 respective 8.2.6.
>> if you don't see drbd in iostats, you probably use an older DRBD version.
>>

> I obviously did not make myself clear.  We were running 8.3 on six nodes
> and only this node showed DRBD in iostat and only this node was having
> the problem I reported. I reverted to 8.2 on this node to make our
> production going.

so you say
  six nodes.
  same hardware. same linux kernel. same drbd.
  but ONE node behaves different.

pretty non-deterministic behaviour for software.

I doubt I can help, as if that is true,
circumstantial evidence suggests that it has nothing to do with drbd,
but everything to do with whatever makes the non-behaving node behave
different.

though my guess is
that either these nodes are not all that identical as you think they are.
or you installed the new kernel module, but did not actually reload it.

if you still have the kernel logs, double check whether you find the
"drbd: initialised. Version 8.3.0 ..." line.

if not, you never loaded nor used nor benchmarked against 8.3.0.

--
: Lars Ellenberg