[DRBD-user] Kernel oops with drbd 8.0.14

Ronald Moesbergen R.Moesbergen at intercommit.nl
Mon Feb 9 16:36:16 CET 2009

> Ronald,
> On 2009-02-09 12:28, Ronald Moesbergen wrote:
> > Hello!
> >
> > I'm using DRBD 8.0.14 on a Xen 3.3.1 x86_64 cluster for
> disk replication. Over the last few weeks the systems have
> been crashing, particularly under load. I have captured the
> following using netconsole:
> >
> > Unable to handle kernel paging request at 0000180017006702 RIP:
> >  [<ffffffff80262ceb>] put_page+0x0/0x2e PGD 0
> > Oops: 0000 [1] SMP
> > CPU 3
> > Modules linked in: netconsole ip_vs_wrr ip_vs xt_physdev
> iptable_filter ip_tables x_tables drbd bridge button ac
> battery ipmi_devintf ipmi_si ipmi_msghandler e1000e serio_raw pcsp$
> > Pid: 4044, comm: drbd1_receiver Tainted: GF     2.6.18.8-xen #1
>
> What did you "modprobe -f" into your kernel?

Well, as I mentioned in my original e-mail, I don't know where this flag comes from:

"As you can see the kernel tainted flags say 'GF'. I have searched where this comes from, but can't find >>anything. We only run open-source stuff on these machines, so no scary binary only modules. Also, a dmesg|grep -i 'tainted' returns nothing, and cat /proc/sys/kernel/tainted returns '0'. Go figure... My guess is that some startup script uses 'insmod -f' while it's not needed."

> > The kernel I'm using is here:
> http://xenbits.xensource.com/linux-2.6.18-xen.hg. It's quite
> old, and I'd love to upgrade to something recent, but this is
> the only kernel that can run as Dom0 with a recent version of
> Xen  that I can find.
>
> Ubuntu intrepid with Xen 3.3 and
> linux-image-2.6.27-9-virtual, does that work for you? Or if
> this is a test system, how about SLES 11 RC3 or Debian lenny?

As I understand it, these versions are based on the 'paravirt_ops' version of xen (whatever that may be) which is all quite new and untested. I'm a bit weary to try that out. But on the other hand, the current setup isn't working either, so I might as well try it.

Thanks,
Ronald.