[DRBD-user] DRBD Ingres issue

Mark Watts m.watts at eris.qinetiq.com
Fri Dec 11 11:00:43 CET 2009

On Fri, 2009-12-11 at 13:25 +0800, jan gestre wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> I'm trying to configure a HA cluster using DRBD and RHEL cluster
> suite, I'm currently in the DRBD stage wherein I'm testing the manual
> failover and I'm having problems/difficulties resolving this one.
>
> I've /dev/drbd0 on both node1 and node2 and it's mounted as primary on
> node1, I was able to install Ingres 9.3 on node1 using /dev/drbd0 as
> install location however when I try to mount it node2, I can't start
> Ingres -->
>
> [ingres at node2 ~]$ ingstart
>
> Ingres/ingstart
>
> No Ingres servers have been configured to start up.
>
> I hope someone here can help me out.

Are you running in Primary/Secondary mode or Primary/Primary?

If the former (which is most common), you'd need to make sure you've
flipped the mount point to node2 before you try anything.

Also, there's an assumption that anything not located on the shared
volume (anything in /etc for example) is also installed on the second
node.

For example, when we do this with MySQL or PostgreSQL, we install the
regular distro packages on both nodes, then manually move the database
directory to the shared storage and symlink it on both nodes. The
Secondary node will have a dangling symlink until the filesystem is
mounted, but this is OK since heartbeat will manage mounting the
filesystem and starting the database service in the correct order for
us.

Hope this makes sense?

Mark.

--
Mark Watts BSc RHCE MBCS
Senior Systems Engineer, Managed Services Manpower