[DRBD-user] singel node setup possible?

N.J. van der Horn (Nico) nico at vanderhorn.nl
Tue Aug 11 19:22:05 CEST 2009

Hi Michael,

I do this all the time when replacing a cluster.
Haha, I am a little surprised you ask this, as you are one of my hero's
here ;-)
You know that before DRBD completes its sync, you already can use its
primary...
So what made you to be unsure about this ?

Freundliche grüssen / Kind regards,

Nico

Brian R. Hellman schreef:
> Yes this is doable.
>
> One method would be install DRBD, setup your config and resources as
> normal, including making your new server primary, then leave it in an
> unconnected state.  You can copy data to it at this point.
>
> Once you have your secondary server up and running then make the
> necessary changes to your DRBD config, copy it to the secondary server,
> reload DRBD on your primary, load it on your secondary and tell it to
> connect.
>
> HTH,
> Brian
>
> LINBIT - Your Way to High Availability
> 8152 SW Hall Blvd., Suite #209 : Beaverton, OR 97008
>
> http://www.linbit.com
>

> Michael Schumacher wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I need to migrate two independent servers into a XEN/DRBD-setup with
>> two machines. For this reason I want to
>> -- build a new machine,
>> -- set it up to replace the first server,
>> -- move the first server on the new machine
>> -- then move the second server temporarily as a XEN-instance onto the
>> first server and then
>> -- replace the second server with a new machine and
>> -- move the temporary second server on its own machine.
>>
>> The idea is to be able to move both servers on one machine if the
>> other breaks.
>>
>> The problem is that I would like to prepare the first machine with DRBD
>> before I have the second node available.
>> Playing around for two days show that there seems to be no way to set
>> up a system that way.
>>
>> I was searching this list, various howtos and google without much
>> success.
>>
>> Two questions:
>>
>> -- Does this work at all?
>> -- Is there any reasonble Howto?
>>

>> best regards
>> ---
>> Michael Schumacher
>> PAMAS Partikelmess- und Analysesysteme GmbH
>> Dieselstr.10, D-71277 Rutesheim
>> Tel +49-7152-99630
>> Fax +49-7152-996333
>> Geschäftsführer: Gerhard Schreck
>> Handelsregister B Stuttgart HRB 252024

Behandeld door / Handled by: N.J. van der Horn (Nico)
---
ICT Support Vanderhorn IT-works, www.vanderhorn.nl,
Kamer van Koophandel / Chambre of Commerce 24228233,
Voorstraat 55, 3135 HW Vlaardingen, The Netherlands,
Tel +31 10 2486060, Fax +31 10 2486061