[DRBD-user] I think that there is a missing instruction for RPM building.

Lars Ellenberg lars.ellenberg at linbit.com
Wed Aug 5 11:35:42 CEST 2009

On Tue, Aug 04, 2009 at 10:41:19AM +0300, Dotan Barak wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> I tried to follow the directions in the URL:
> http://www.drbd.org/users-guide/s-build-rpm.html
> and it seems that something is missing:
> Before executing "make rpm" there is a need to build the .filelist.
>
> This can be done by "make .filelist" or by "make tarball".

In fact, it is intentional.

You are not expected to build rpms from git checkouts,
but from released tarballs, which include that.
And building it again within a tarball can even hurt.

Building rpms from git checkouts is not the way to go.
Using that method would generate the same rpm version-revision
for every intermediate git revision, and that would mean you
lose the benefit of the package versioning system.

To effectively build and use rpms from git checkouts,
you absolutely need to know what you are doing.

Which, no offense meant, in general is impossible for a user when using
some intermediate git checkouts.  You usually cannot determin whether or
not a particular git revision is safe to use or not.
If you can, please join our development or QA team ;-)

But anyways, we may add a note about "iff you really want to build from
git checkout, then you may need to... etc..."

Thanks,

--
: Lars Ellenberg
: LINBIT HA-Solutions GmbH