[DRBD-user] Upgrade from 7 to 8: meta-data conversion vs. reinitialization

Maxim Vladimirsky horkhe at gmail.com
Mon Apr 27 14:34:13 CEST 2009

Hi everybody,

The project I am working for uses DRBD version 7. Our major design goal is
to ensure as minimum down time as possible. In the next release we are going
to upgrade DRBD to version 8. As far as I understand there is no way to
perform rolling upgrade so the cluster down time can not be avoided. The
upgrade procedure outlined in the Florian's blog includes the meta-data
conversion stage, which may fail by the way. But what if reinitialize the
meta-data partition by *drbdmeta create-md*? I expect it to be much faster
then data conversion. Besides it has much smaller chance to fail, I suppose.
Of cause it will induce total resync, but who cares since the cluster will
be in service.

Please let me know if any of you tried that approach or sees a down side in
it which I missed.

Any ideas on how to minimise the cluster down time are wellcome as well. (At
the moment we guarantie 15 seconds, but with rolling upgrade not supported
we will probably be forced to change that.)

Thank you in advance for any response.
Maxim Vladimirsky