[DRBD-user] kernel crash when secondary disappears. centos 5.3 kernel-xen issue? (fwd)

Lars Ellenberg lars.ellenberg at linbit.com
Fri Apr 17 10:03:24 CEST 2009

On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 06:38:42PM -0700, Tom Brown wrote:

> > Simon Graham explained an interesting effect when using scatter gather
> > and DRBD and xen...
>
> That seems to be this thread:
>     http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/drbd/users/16962
>
> unfortunately, in that case, Valentin apparently reported good results with
> protocol C and this tweak:
>
>    ethtool -K xenbr0 sg off
>
> I can't get that. Even when using
>
>     for if in eth0 peth0 virbr0 xenbr0 ; do
>        ethtool -K $if rx off tx off sg off
>     done

add "tso off".
or try to just set everything to "off" that is reported by ethtool -k.

> I DO seem to get a slightly more stable config... in
> fact, it sometimes seems to be stable until I bring the secondary back
> online, at which point I get a crash that looks _very_ similar to the
> initial one.
>
> But, using protocol A is robust... (but slow?).

No, I don't think so.

> hhmm, yes. I just managed to crash the box during a resync
> (proto C). I have the trace for that too if it is relevent.
> (drbd.take4)
>
> hhmm, I'm not convinced this test config is at all stable under
> protocol C. I wanted to do a speed test, but can't keep it alive long
> enough :(
>
> Anyhow, I need to put this down for now, I'm seriously in need of some
> exercise.

I just added a module parameter "disable_sendpage", which will disable
zero copy sendpage use for protocols B and C as well, patch going to you
via private mail.

please test.

--
: Lars Ellenberg