[DRBD-user] drbd hosting windows

Dan Bullok dan.drbd at technoviking.com
Fri Sep 19 05:45:02 CEST 2008

On Wednesday 17 September 2008 16:39:20 Paras pradhan wrote:
> Hi,
> Has anybody installed windows virtual machine under xen using drbd disks?
>
> Any pointer or tip would be highly appreciated.
>

> Thanks
> Paras.

There are (at least) two ways to allocate disk space to a VM under Xen.
The easiest way is to use a file-backed VBD, in which case you can store the
disk image on any file system, including one that lives on a DRBD device.
Once you have DRBD running, you don't have to do anything special to do this.
See sec 6.2 of the Xen user manual:
http://tx.downloads.xensource.com/downloads/docs/user/#SECTION03320000000000000000

You export a physical device as a VBD, and that's no different for DRBD.  It's
been a while since I've done this, so I don't have a working config to paste
here, but you should be able to use your drbd device just like any other block
device.

You'll probably notice a slight speed decrease in either case, unless you have
slow disks and a fast network.  It's noticeable, but it's not bad at all.

-Dan