[DRBD-user] Double homicide, can DRBD help?

nathan at robotics.net nathan at robotics.net
Mon Sep 15 19:14:25 CEST 2008

On Mon, 15 Sep 2008, Lars Ellenberg wrote:

> please do not hijack a thread.

I am sorry, did not know I did that.

> no.
> you can use bonding, though,
> which is recommend.

You can't bond and IPoIB infiniband interface with a Gig E Ethernet
Interface.

>> The 2nd question is, assuming that DRBD can not be configured to use two
>> networks, how safe is it for me to configure fencing to use both network
>> and have DRBD run as primary/primary for a while in split brain?
>
> please define "safe".

Having DRBD recover without losing data.

> as long as the files stay the same size and you are not using some
> rebalancing, auto defragmenting or log structured file system (you don't),
> that is just fine.

They are xen DomU images, so yes, they say the same size.

> problem is:
> drbd has no three (not even two!) way merge.
>
> so after you connect them again and let them resync,
> its either the yellow, or the blue.
> the respective other is warped back in time
> to where it has been before the split brain.

Got ya, so if files change on each box, the changes will only survive on
one box?

><>
Nathan Stratton                                CTO, BlinkMind, Inc.
nathan at robotics.net                         nathan at blinkmind.com
http://www.robotics.net                        http://www.blinkmind.com