[DRBD-user] Double homicide, can DRBD help?

nathan at robotics.net nathan at robotics.net
Mon Sep 15 16:45:25 CEST 2008

My nice cisco 3750 switch crashed yesterday, both DRBD servers noticed the
lack of connectivity, then came back when the switch rebooted and auto
resolved the split brain. However I am running CLVM on top of DRBD and
fencing was not happy with the loss of connectivity and each server
decided to shoot each other in the head.

Each server is connected with gig ethernet as well as infiniband and the
cluster and I believe fencing can be configured to use two interfaces. Is
there any way to configure DRBD to use BOTH IP address? The ability to
use two networks for DRBD would help in many ways.

The 2nd question is, assuming that DRBD can not be configured to use two
networks, how safe is it for me to configure fencing to use both network
and have DRBD run as primary/primary for a while in split brain? The boxes
are used for XEN and each server only reads/writes to a unique file using
tapaio. My guess is not long before blocks would get messed up beyond
repair even if they are each accessing unique files, but I am not sure on
that.

Thought about using some sort of routing protocol between the boxes, but
they all look two slow to work in this application.

><>
Nathan Stratton                                CTO, BlinkMind, Inc.
nathan at robotics.net                         nathan at blinkmind.com
http://www.robotics.net                        http://www.blinkmind.com