[Linux-ha-dev] Re: [DRBD-user] drbd peer outdater: higher level implementation?

Lars Ellenberg lars.ellenberg at linbit.com
Mon Sep 15 11:04:13 CEST 2008

On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 10:26:46AM +0200, Andrew Beekhof wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 08:28, Lars Ellenberg <lars.ellenberg at linbit.com> wrote:
> >
> > if we set aside confused admins for the moment,
> > and assume CRM is the only entity promoting/demoting drbd.
>
> A very important assumption.
>
> Without it, it doesn't matter how much redundancy you add, you'll
> always have a split brain/personality.
>
> You can't put the cluster in charge, tell it to go in one direction,
> and then start trying to go off in another.  That path leads to
> madness for the cluster and the admin.

Absolutely. No disagreement there at all.

The "outdated" flag stored in drbd metadata does help to remind the
confused admin [1] that he meant to type that command in the other
terminal window.

That is all I wanted to say there.
I just meant to point out this "subtile" difference
in _where_ we store the information that this node is out-of-date.

[1] who tries desperately to rescue what he can after a minor
    catastrophe, at 3:17 am Saturday morning

--
: Lars Ellenberg