[DRBD-user] drbd peer outdater exit codes [drbd ocf floating peers not working. don't try]

Lars Ellenberg lars.ellenberg at linbit.com
Fri Sep 12 11:54:38 CEST 2008

On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 11:34:46AM +0200, Raoul Bhatia [IPAX] wrote:
> hello drbd-user,
> hello linux-ha-dev,
>
> [0] shows a list of exit codes of the "peer outdater interface".
>
> during my tests i encounter two other exit codes, which might be worth
> mentioning somewhere (i do not know if this should be in the drbd
> user-guide or somwhere at linux-ha):
>
> for the records, i use "on node_x" instead of the real host name
> in my drbd.conf, as suggested in [1].

don't do that.
won't work with any handlers.
for the "floating peer" stuff to work in practice,
we'd need much more work in the user land tools.

while a neat idea in theory,
it does not work out in practice.

it even uses an undocumented "hack",
namely setting the "__DRBD_NODE__" environment variable,
which was introduced solely to make it more easy for me
to "sanity check" drbd config files sent to me to comment on,
using the "dump" and "-d up" and similar commands.
it was never intended to be actually used.

so the whole "floating peer" stuff is a hack in itself.
does anybody out there really use it?

it might be possible to get this hack sort of working
by adding more hacks. like telling the kernel which
"nodename" to fake when calling the user space helpers.

but I don't think that would be a good idea.

--
: Lars Ellenberg
: LINBIT HA-Solutions GmbH

DRBD® and LINBIT® are registered trademarks
of LINBIT Information Technologies GmbH