[DRBD-user] cannot mount device on secondary node

Jeff Orr jeff at attributor.com
Mon Sep 8 20:43:56 CEST 2008

David Lütolf wrote:
> Hello all!
>
> I am trying to get DRDB running on two machines, each running Gentoo
> 2008.0 (server) with 2.6.25-gentoo-r7 kernel.
>
> (snip)
and now comes the real question:
> I followed the instructions on
> http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Heartbeat_and_DRBD and
> http://www.drbd.org/docs/install/ but after starting the initial sync I
> cannot mount the drbd drives on the Secondary host:
>
> back2 / # mount /mnt/drbd
> mount: block device /dev/drbd0 is write-protected, mounting read-only
> mount: Wrong medium type
> (snip)
a clue on what I could be missing?
> Good evening to you all
>
> David

The default behavior of DRBD is to have a single Primary and a single
Secondary node, with all access to the disk refused on the Secondary.
This is normal. You should only be able to mount the disk on the system
that is currently Primary.

If you want to have two Primary nodes, you need to have a file system
like GFS on the DRBD device.

Regards,
Jeff Orr