[DRBD-user] nested lvm & dual primary

Colin cbex at xplornet.com
Fri Sep 5 20:46:44 CEST 2008

Does anybody know if it is possible to use 'nested lvm' with 'dual primary
mode', or is that a conflict between lvm/clvm?

My configuration is:
- 2 debian-lenny nodes, updated & clean default installation w/versions:
  - clvm (2.02.39-2)
  - lvm2 (2.02.39-2)
  - drbd8-modules-2.6.26-1-amd64 (2.6.26+8.0)
  - drbd8-utils (2:8.0.13-1)

- each has 1 hard disk (sda)
- each disk has two partitions (boot, crypt-lvm)
- the lvm partition contains debian default logical volumes + 1 extra for drbd
- drbd is configured primary/primary and is up and running

*here is where the problem starts on the '/dev/r0':
-pv creates ok
-vg creates ok
-lv creation has error about not being able to 'wipe' before creation

I think I need to use clvm here, but changing lvm.conf seems to interfere with
the pre-existing (normal) logical volumes.

*Am I missing something?
*Is there another approach?
*Or, can TWO instances of lvm run on seperate '.conf' with different filters?
 (one instance for filtered for lvm, and one filtered for clvm)

Thanks,
Colin.