[DRBD-user] block-drbd and Xen

Alexandre Biancalana biancalana at gmail.com
Tue Sep 2 05:08:20 CEST 2008

On 9/1/08, Jerry Amundson <jamundso at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 1, 2008 at 8:25 PM, Alexandre Biancalana
>  <biancalana at gmail.com> wrote:
>  > Hi list,
>  >
>  >  I know that this subject was discussed before but I don't find any
>  > definitive answer to this question, so I hope that this message can
>  > help people finding this in future.
>

> Doesn't matter. Most people seem to find the *official* answer, which
>  *official* people refuse to change, yet many times just does not work.

Hi Jerry !

I just want something that work....

>  >  I installed Debian 4 (etch), Xen 3.2 and DRBD 8.0.13 (from
>  > backports).  The objective is to build a two-node Linux HA to
>  > virtualize some legacy services and development machines.
>  >
>  >  My question is about block-drbd script, when I try to boot a virtual
>  > machine using a drbd disk resource like this:
>  >
>  > disk   = [ 'drbd:app01,hda,w' ]
>

> Why did you use that?

Because theoretically when I use drbd: instead phy: Xen call
block-drbd script that  handles the necessary DRBD resource state
transitions, right ?

>  > When I use the drbd device directly:
>  >
>  > disk    = [ 'phy:/dev/drbd0,hda,w' ]
>  >
>  >  everything works great, but I don't want to write wrapper scripts to
>  > handle live migration.
>

> Of course phy: works great. Fortunately, with allow-two-primaries;,
>  and other controls, DRBD 8.x can do Xen live migration, even using
>  phys: ...

I already read that, but if everything (including state transition and
consequently live migration) work directly with phy: why block-drbd
(drbd:) exists at all ???

Regards,