[DRBD-user] Heartbeat & DRBD.SplitBrain.Auto recovering

Francisco José Méndez Cirera mendezirera at gmail.com
Fri Oct 31 10:18:04 CET 2008

Hi there, I'm using Heartbeat 2.1.4 and DRBD 8.2.7. I have a problem using
Split Brain during recovering.

I have two node cluster in active/pasive way. During normal operation, the
master node runs drbd as primary role, while slave node runs as secondary
role. For testing purposes, I unplug the ethernet cable, and because of
that, they have no comunication (so Split Brain is expected to occur when
plug again). In this situation, the master node shows DRBD as
"primary/unknown" and the slave node shows "primary/unknown". This situation
is considered ok, and there is no problem because this is the expected
behaviour.

The problem arises when the ethernet cable is plugged again and the
comunication is up again. Master node allways shows "primary/unknown" and
slave node remains in "primary/unknown" for about 90 seconds. After that,
salve shows "secondary/unknown"

I would like to know:

Why is Heartbeat taking so long to "demote" the slave node from primary to
secondary? I had to increase "cluster-timeout-action" to 120 seconds....

DRBD never recovers "primary/secondary" state after Split Brain, even if
drbd.conf is configured to discard changes in younger primary (that's what I
need):

after-sb-0p discard-younger-primary;
after-sb-2p violently-as0p;

What can I do??