[DRBD-user] stable release of DRBD?

Florian Haas florian.haas at linbit.com
Thu Oct 16 09:06:26 CEST 2008

On 10/16/2008 07:51 AM, kris vasu wrote:
> Hi Team,
> I am a new guy want to implement DRBD HA solution in my environment.
> I heard that DRBD(block level) is synchronous other than mysql replication.
> can some one please let me know the most stable release of DRBD?

If by "most stable" you mean "has received the fewest changes other than
bugfixes", that's 8.0.13. I'll strongly advise you to go for 8.2.6
though, see below.

> I came to know that DRBD has some issues with block level corruption
> propagated from primary to standby side and other issues like failing at
> deadlocks .

What you are referring to are most likely not DRBD issues. Instead some
users are reporting InnoDB corruption issues unrelated to DRBD. DRBD,
being application agnostic, happily replicates these, so if your
application corrupts data on your primary node, it will be equally
corrupted on your secondary node. If you want to protect yourself
against that sort of thing, simply use a highly available MySQL master
pair using DRBD, plus a slave to recover from in case of InnoDB
corruption. Thus you get synchronous, transaction-safe storage
replication on your master, plus a safety net against application-level
data corruption.

Actual replication errors caused by hardware issues should be caught by
DRBD end-to-end integrity checking, which was introduced in 8.2.0 and is
not included in the 8.0 branch. This end-to-end checking has no
equivalent in MySQL replication for the time being -- I hear they're
working on changeset checksums for row-based replication in 5.1, but
that's not released yet.

Hope this helps.
Florian

--
: Florian G. Haas
: LINBIT Information Technologies GmbH

When replying, there is no need to CC my personal address.
I monitor the list on a daily basis. Thank you.

LINBIT® and DRBD® are registered trademarks of LINBIT.