[DRBD-user] Help with initial setup

kevin kempter kevin at kevinkempterllc.com
Thu Oct 9 17:20:39 CEST 2008

On Oct 9, 2008, at 9:03 AM, kevin kempter wrote:

> On Oct 9, 2008, at 9:00 AM, kevin kempter wrote:
>

>> On Oct 9, 2008, at 8:56 AM, Timh Bergström wrote:
>>
>>> No need to fdisk-remove the filesystem on /dev/sda2, just force
>>> creation of meta-data on r0. When the drbd-modules are loaded and
>>> services are started, you only need to run mkfs.ext3 /dev/drbd1 and
>>> then mount it wherever you want, mount -t ext3 /dev/drbd1
>>> /my/mount/point.
>>>
>>> You are really missing the point with drbd. You should go back to
>>> the
>>> documentation; http://www.drbd.org/users-guide-emb/ch-configure.html
>>> and follow the "how-to" there.
>>>
>>> //T
>>>

>> ok, I'm walking thru the doc again.  This time I did a yum install
>> drbd
>> however, once the rpm install finished I tried this:
>>
>> # modprobe drbd
>> FATAL: Module drbd not found.
>
> My mistake -- I spoke (emailed) too soon. Apologies.
>>

>> Is the modprobe bit not required for an RPM install ?

>>> --
>>> Timh Bergström
>>> System Administrator
>>> Diino AB - www.diino.com
>>> :wq

OK, I'm doing some more reading.  I get that the disk entry in my on
command (in /etc/drbd.conf) should be the actual disk device
   and the device entry is the device that drbd will ultimately create
for me as part of this setup process.

So, I have a 4G disk partition (ext3) which is currently not mounted.

Before I unmounted it I can see it in a df:
# df -h
/dev/sda1              19G  4.1G   14G  24% /
tmpfs                 2.0G     0  2.0G   0% /dev/shm
/dev/sda2             3.9G   73M  3.7G   2% /drdb_data

Next I ran umount /dedb_data

# umount /drdb_data
# df -h
/dev/sda1              19G  4.1G   14G  24% /
tmpfs                 2.0G     0  2.0G   0% /dev/shm

I installed the drbd kernel module and drbd via yum on both servers

Then I setup the same drbd.conf file on both servers:

#
global {
   usage-count yes;
}
common {
   protocol C;
}
resource r0 {
   on CentOS-32-VM1 {
     device    /dev/drbd1;
     disk      /dev/sda2;
     address   192.168.1.11:7789;
     meta-disk internal;
   }
   on CentOS-32-VM2 {
     device    /dev/drbd1;
     disk      /dev/sda2;
     address   192.168.1.10:7789;
     meta-disk internal;
   }
}

And finally I tried to start the configuration/setup by running the
create-md command (and it bombs):

# drbdadm create-md r0

Found ext3 filesystem which uses 4192964 kB
current configuration leaves usable 4192800 kB

Device size would be truncated, which
would corrupt data and result in
'access beyond end of device' errors.
You need to either
    * use external meta data (recommended)
    * shrink that filesystem first
    * zero out the device (destroy the filesystem)
Operation refused.

Command 'drbdmeta /dev/drbd1 v08 /dev/sda2 internal create-md'
terminated with exit code 40
drbdadm aborting

Thoughts ? Any help would be greatly appreciated..

Thanks in advance.