[DRBD-user] Help with initial setup

Florian Haas florian.haas at linbit.com
Wed Oct 8 23:36:22 CEST 2008

On 10/08/2008 11:04 PM, Jerry Amundson wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 8, 2008 at 3:33 PM, kevin kempter <kevin at kevinkempterllc.com> wrote:
>> 1) I setup 2 new installs of CentOS v5 (32bit) as VM's via vmware server on
>> a Dell 2900 (quad core, 16Gram, single RAID slice, etc)
>>
>> Note: I created /stage as a separate ext2 filesystem (mounted from
>> /dev/sda2). This is the filesystem I want to replicate with drbd
>
> That will need to be re-made on the drbd device.

Wrong. If you shrink the filesystem (resize2fs) to make room for DRBD's
metadata, you will be able to replicate the existing data without
remaking the filesystem. If you need to keep that data.

After you have shrunk your filesystem (shrink by 128M to be on the safe
side), you want to do exactly what your original error message told you,
namely use "drbdadm create-md <resource>" to create your metadata.

Btw: ext2, being a non-journaling filesystem, is a really bad choice for
HA environments. Use ext3.

Florian

--
: Florian G. Haas
: LINBIT Information Technologies GmbH

When replying, there is no need to CC my personal address.
I monitor the list on a daily basis. Thank you.

LINBIT® and DRBD® are registered trademarks of LINBIT.