[DRBD-user] Newbie Question

Mark Watts m.watts at eris.qinetiq.com
Thu Nov 6 16:15:54 CET 2008

On Thursday 06 November 2008 14:44:05 Allen Chen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am new to drbd, but it seems like something I'd like to use.
>
> I'm not sure where I should have found info about this so I hope this is
> the place...
>
> >From the tutorial:
>
> resource r0 {
>   on alice {
>     device    /dev/drbd1;
>     disk      /dev/sda7;
>     address   10.1.1.31:7789;
>     meta-disk internal;
>   }
>
> How do I decide what the disk is? Is this something I have to decide and
> set during partition and install of the OS?

Yes.

> Right now I have two servers
> with 2 hard drives each. I would like one server to be development server
> and one to be database server, each using one hard disk. The remaining two
> hard disks would be the drbd 'backup' of the other, and cross the servers
> so the backups would be on different servers. Hence one server would be
> primary development/secondary database, while the other one is primary
> database/secondary development. I am running Red Hat EL 5.2. While
> partitioning I set a partition /backup for the secondary disk, with the
> intention that /backup is where the secondary drbd image goes.

You can do this, but its a little complicated. (And performance may stink)

The way I'd probably approach it is thus: (Assuming, for example, 100GB disks)

	Partition 1 = 10GB = /
	Partition 2 = 2GB = Swap
	Partition 3 = 88GB = <drbd>

You'd configure the exact same partition layout on *ALL* disks, even though
you won't be using / and swap on the secondary disk in each node.
(This is to ensure that the actual partition you're replicating has the same
block-count on each disk).

If you have /dev/sda and /dev/sdb, you'd have a drbd.conf like this:

resource r0 {
	device	/dev/drbd0;
	meta-disk internal;
	on server1 {
		disk      /dev/sda3;
		address   10.1.1.1:7789;
	}
	on server2 {
		disk      /dev/sdb3;
		address   10.1.1.2:7789;
	}
}

resource r1
	device	/dev/drbd1;
	meta-disk internal;
	on server1 {
		disk      /dev/sdb3;
		address   10.1.1.1:7790;
	}
	on server2 {
		disk      /dev/sda3;
		address   10.1.1.2:7790;
	}
}

One key assumption of course, is that you have two independant database
configurations, so that both database instances can potentially be running on
the same node at the same time.

Mark.

--
Mark Watts BSc RHCE MBCS