[DRBD-user] active/active

Chris Zimmerman zimmermanc at chartermi.net
Sat Nov 1 16:49:51 CET 2008

On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 7:19 PM, Chris Zimmerman <fud.theturtle at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 7:17 PM, Chris Zimmerman <fud.theturtle at gmail.com>wrote:
>

>> On Mon, Oct 27, 2008 at 8:56 PM, Kavan Smith <kavan at linbit.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Chris,

>>> their
>>>
>>> DRBD can accomplish the data replication in active/active mode utilizing
>>> GFS/OCFS with ease.  Read up on DRBD and GFS:
>>>
>>> http://www.drbd.org/users-guide/ch-gfs.html
>>>
>>> If I understand you correctly...
>>>
>>> I suppose a simple way to accomplish this would be to replicate your Xen
>>> DOMU to your secondary node with a slightly different configuration
>>> (ip/hostname/etc.) and utilize the shared storage for user data on both
>>> nodes.  This of course would not keep your secondary DOMU's operating
>>> system in sync with the primary.
>>>
>>> Take a look at csync2 to help keep your configuration files up to date
>>> on your Xen DOMU's.
>>>
>>> http://oss.linbit.com/csync2/
>>>
>>> I'm unclear as to how many physical machines you wish to run this on.
>>> Are you looking to accomplish this task on a total of 2 boxes?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> -Kavan
>>>
>>> --
>>> : Kavan Smith
>>> : LINBIT USA, LLC | Your Way to High Availability
>>> : Telephone: 1-877-4-LINBIT / 1-877-454-6248
>>> :
>>> : 8152 SW Hall Blvd., Suite #209
>>> : Beaverton, OR 97008
>>> :
>>> : http://www.linbit.com
>>>
>>> DRBD(R) and LINBIT(R) are registered trademarks of LINBIT, Austria.
>>>
>>> This e-mail is solely for use by the intended recipient(s). Information
>>> contained in this e-mail and its attachments may be confidential,
>>> privileged or copyrighted. If you are not the intended recipient you are
>>> hereby formally notified that any use, copying, disclosure or
>>> distribution of the contents of this e-mail, in whole or in part, is
>>> prohibited. Also please notify immediately the sender by return e-mail
>>> and delete this e-mail from your system. Thank you for your co-operation.

Yes I want to use the shared storage for  public_html for a load balanced
Apache install.  You say shared storage, I want to sure, this can be done
with partitions on 2 machine's using drbd and gfs without the need for a
"shared storage" ?  I am trying to do this without a san if I can.
Does drbd have a limit of 2 servers?
Sorry I sent you this directly on accident Kavan.

Chris