[DRBD-user] Trouble getting RAID5 on top of DRBD to work..

drbd at bobich.net drbd at bobich.net
Fri May 30 13:06:16 CEST 2008

On Fri, 30 May 2008, Stefan Seifert wrote:

> On Friday, 30. May 2008, drbd at bobich.net wrote:
>> I think you'll find that you are. With RAID 51, you can lose up to 1 disk
>> per side. With RAID 15 you could lose all disks on one side without even
>> needing to fail over to the backup node.
>
> If you could lose all disks on one side in a RAID 15 without having to fail
> over, why would you need to failover if one of the RAID 5s in a RAID 51 fails
> due to two drives failing?

That is a fair point, but with RAID 51 you can withstand much fewer disk
failure combinations than with RAID 15.

>> RAID isn't about speed, it's about fault tolerance, and RAID 15 is more
>> fault tolerant than RAID 51.
>
> So in your RAID 15 you lose two hard drives of one node and before being able
> to replace it the other node goes down because of a failing power supply or
> whatever. Your cluster's down.
> On RAID 51 you lose two hard drives of one node and then the other node goes
> down. Your cluster's down, too. No difference here.

You're throwing in PSU failures here which our out of scope for RAID. It's
not a reasonable comparison.

> I've played it through with many other cases. In each of them I get exactly
> the same characteristics. The only difference is wether the RAID 1 or RAID 5
> fails first which makes no difference at all on the cluster's status.

It does. With RAID 15 you can tolerate failures of 1/2 of the disks as
long as you don't lose more than one mirror set alltogether.

With RAID 51 you can tolerate failure of 1/2 of the disks only if they are
all on the same machine - which won't happen because that machine will be
down from the moment the 2nd disk fails.

RAID 15 will yield better uptimes than RAID 51. If I have a moment I'll
post an equation for it.

Gordan