[DRBD-user] URGENT Request for DRBD Developers

Sat May 24 17:56:34 CEST 2008

Ralf Gross wrote:
> Johnny Hughes schrieb:
>> [...]
>> I am sorry if you do not agree with me on package version, BUT, the DRBD
>> developers SAY that 8.2 IS stable.  They also roll changes into 8.0.x
>> first for testing .. THEN they roll them into 8.2.x.  In fact, the
>> 8.0.12 changes will be in 8.2.6, which will be released soon.  One could
>>  argue that since 8.0 things get tested before inclusion into 8.2, that
>> it is 8.2 that is more stable.
>
> http://www.drbd.org/releases.html
>
> | 8.2.y
> |
> | Receives new features, and all bugfixes of 8.0. The protocol might get
> | extended with new releases. We include new features, and keep it
> | stable at the same time.
> |

> | 8.0.y
> |
> | Is the current stable (in the sense of feature-frozen) branch, and
> | only receives bug fixes. The wire protocol is frozen as well.
>

> 8.0.y receives only bugfixes, so I doubt that many thing are tested in
> 8.0.y and then rolled into 8.2.y. At least not the new features.
>
>>From a debian point of view 8.2.y would be in unstable, 8.0.y in
> stable.  But it's a bit confusing that both versions are called
> stable.

Well .. I'll give two real world examples.

1.  A while back, there were (3) 8.0.x releases in a week that caused
issues. AFTER the 3rd bad release and after it was stable, those changes
were rolled into 8.2.x.  None of the 8.0.x instability was seen in the
8.2.x tree.

The current 8.0.12 changes are not yet rolled into the 8.2.x branch,
8.0.12 has been released for several weeks and being tested in real
life.  If there were any showstoppers in the 8.0.12 code, it would be
fixed BEFORE it was rolled into 8.2.6, which is currently pending.

These make 8.2.x seem good to me.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes