[DRBD-user] URGENT Request for DRBD Developers

Gordan Bobic drbd at bobich.net
Fri May 23 23:14:29 CEST 2008

If rebuilding from SRPMs or tar balls with .spec file in them is too
much of an issue for you, I fear it is you who is missing the point.

Next you'll moan about the fact that distro packages are broken - and
they often are, in any distribution. Examples that come to mind are the
recent discovery of OpenSSL in Debian being broken and as it happens,
the MySQL package in REHL/CentOS 5.x has completely broken alias handling.

If you are afraid of looking after your own package collection, you
really should reconsider your calling as a systems administrator.
Distributions make it easier, but there is no perfect solution. And
atrpms repository isn't even the official distribution repository. Sure,
RHEL is an improvement on Fedora, but there is no magic bullet.

Arguably, if you are _that_ concerned about stability, you shouldn't be
upgrading _anything_ unless you verifiably run into a bug. Blindly
running yum update is a recipe for disaster. For example in RHEL5,
device mapper RAID support got changed/broken after the initial release.
If you installed from the CentOS 5.0, and you are using device mapper
RAID, then updating DM and rebuilding the initrd will render your system
unbootable.

All of the issues I mentioned are just the ones I have personally run
into. There are bound to be many more. And the ones I ran into are with
the official RHEL distro packages, not even 3rd party repositories.

So I seriously suggest you wake up and smell the coffee. Rebuilding DRBD
RPMs from the tar ball sources available for download is a trivial
effort. You spent more time writing the original email than it would
have taken you to build the rpm packages if you'd actually bothered to try.

Gordan