[DRBD-user] questions

Paul McEnery pmcenery at gmail.com
Tue May 20 15:31:10 CEST 2008

On 19/05/2008, Ricardo Kleemann <ricardo at americasnet.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is it possible to create drbd with only 1 device online? For example, the
> 2nd server block device isn't online yet, but I still configure the "raid 1"
> with 2 servers.
>
> Then when the 2nd server is available, it comes online and the filesystem
> gets replicated at that point in time?

There are in my view a couple of different approaches to this:

 1. Setup DRBD before you make use of your storage.

 2. Add DRBD to an existing system.

I personally prefer to set up DRBD beforehand so as to not have to
tamper with the device by adding metadata to it. Simply less to go
wrong.

According to the userguide, you can add metadata to a disk provided
that there is sufficient space for the metadata. For more information,
see the user guide:

http://www.drbd.org/users-guide/ch-internals.html#s-metadata

So, yes its possible to both run a single DRBD node, and add DRBD to
an existing system to make it resilient.