[DRBD-user] DRBD + LVM2 Setup on RHEL5.1

Ross S. W. Walker rwalker at medallion.com
Fri Mar 21 19:02:45 CET 2008

Lars Ellenberg wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 21, 2008 at 01:18:55PM -0400, Chris Raver wrote:
> > I need it running in Dual-Primary mode and I have become-primary-on
> > both; and allow-two-primaries; in my drbd.conf file.  Is
> there another
> > reason why it wouldn't be syncing right now?
>
> I try again.
>
> > mke2fs /dev/drbd0
>   ^^^^^^
>
> >  0: cs:SyncSource st:Primary/Primary ds:UpToDate/Inconsistent C r---
>                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> please.
> think that over again.
>
> hint:
> http://www.drbd.org/users-guide/ch-fundamentals.html

Lars,

I can't stand it anymore, it's like watching someone with a piece of
food on the side of their mouth...

Ext2/ext3 file systems can't run in Primary/Primary configurations,
(unless you use CLVM and allow 1 node at a time access to the LV
containing the ext2/ext3 file system).

Use GFS or OCFS if you need simultaneous file system access from
both nodes and make sure your application can work on it and
you know what you are getting into first!

Please plan out your DRBD implementation VERY carefully as it is
very hard to fix it after the fact. Especially when you are talking
about how it should be layered (lvm over drbd, drbd over lvm etc).

I advise keeping meta-data in a separate volume, so drbd can be
added or removed from a layer after implementation with no
reconfiguration of the storage.

-Ross