[DRBD-user] Suggestion for DRBD User's Guide

Whit Blauvelt whit+drbd at transpect.com
Tue Mar 11 20:06:46 CET 2008

Hi,

In Chapter 5, where it says of the initial full synchronization, "It may
take some time depending on the size of the device", it might be helpful to
give some way of estimating what "some time" should be. Let's say the two
systems are connected by crossover between 1 gig NICs. That must be the most
common configuration.

Then is the speed according to the amount of data on the primary, or
according to the data + empty space there? And what should it be?

My initial impression, having not seen this complete yet, is that this is
running a lot slower than, say, rsync would in duplicating the same amount
of data. Doubtless drbd has more to do. Anyway, it would be helpful if the
manual gave a rough formula for guestimating sync time.

Regards,
Whit