[DRBD-user] Public draft of DRBD Users' Guide available, feedback requested

Florian Haas florian.haas at linbit.com
Mon Mar 10 09:08:00 CET 2008

On Monday 03 March 2008 09:55:57 Dominik Klein wrote:
> >> http://www.drbd.org/users-guide/ch-heartbeat.html
> >> R1 can only deal with heartbeat and LSB Resources. OCF Resources are for
> >> R2 only.
> >> You even say so:
> >> http://www.drbd.org/users-guide/s-xen-heartbeat.html
> >> Although - there is a wrapper for R1 that makes it possible to use OCF
> >> RAs in R1, but I don't know how to use it and wether that should be
> >> stated in this place.
> >
> > It makes so little sense to do this that we're taking the liberty not to
> > include this. :-)
>
> The wrapper? Okay.
>
> But you should not state, Heartbeat R1 could handle OCF resources. That
> is - out of the box - not possible.

Ah, re-reading that section I see what you mean. I thought I had made this
clear; in fact I hadn't. Fixed.

> >> http://www.drbd.org/users-guide/s-heartbeat-r1.html
> >> "Resource group support is limited to two resource groups"
> >> Thats not true.
> >> You can have more than two resource groups. It's just that more than 2
> >> groups are internally treated as one large group per node.
> >
> > OK, then isn't "limited to two resource groups" a reasonable
> > simplification for users?
>
> Of course you are somewhat right, that it can only handle two resource
> groups, as it can only handle 2 resource groups ...
>
> But ...
> That does not mean a user can not configure and use more than 2 resource
> groups. What heartbeat internally makes of it is nothing the user should
> have to deal with.

I acknowledge you have a point there, and I agree that we disagree. I'm
leaving this as is. :-)

> >> http://www.drbd.org/users-guide/s-heartbeat-dopd.html
> >> This does not mention the difference in configurations with stonith
> >> enabled. You might at least place a link to the blog here.
> >
> > I'm not sure I follow you there; please clarify.
>
> Well okay, the blog didn't mention that either, sorry.
>
> In general, I think a section about resource fencing is missing. That's
> propably what I missed.

Um, why? (DRBD) Resource-level fencing is exactly what dopd provides. Perhaps
you mean it's _node_ fencing that's missing? With that I agree, but I really
don't even want us to get into documenting node fencing with Heartbeat. We'll
leave it to the Heartbeat guys to do that -- not least because there are a
myriad approaches to follow, depending on the fencing devices being used.

Cheers,
Florian

--
: Florian G. Haas
: LINBIT Information Technologies GmbH

When replying, there is no need to CC my personal address.
I monitor the list on a daily basis. Thank you.