[DRBD-user] Any recommendations or cautions on using RAID under DRBD?

Florian Haas florian.haas at linbit.com
Tue Mar 4 15:51:01 CET 2008

On Tuesday 04 March 2008 15:39:34 drbd at bobich.net wrote:
> >> DRBD doesn't know and doesn't care if your RAID stripe is degraded or
> >> optimal. That's a job for something else. The underlying partition for
> >> DRBD is either there or isn't. There is nothing inbetween. If you want
> >> to fail over when the local RAID stripe is degraded, then you'll have to
> >> put in some external monitoring, possibly integrated with heartbeat. So
> >> yes, probably a Linux-HA question.
> >
> > Um, not quite.
> > http://www.drbd.org/users-guide/s-handling-disk-errors.html
>
> This is about handling disk errors. I was talking about whether the
> underlying RAID stripe is degraded or optimal.

And would you mind enlightening me how a RAID-0 set (whose use you suggested
earlier) ever becomes "degraded" -- rather than faulty and issuing an I/O
error -- when losing a disk?

Last time I checked, RAID-0 wasn't redundant.

Florian

--
: Florian G. Haas
: LINBIT Information Technologies GmbH

When replying, there is no need to CC my personal address.
I monitor the list on a daily basis. Thank you.