[DRBD-user] Public draft of DRBD Users' Guide available, feedback requested

Dominik Klein dk at in-telegence.net
Mon Mar 3 09:55:57 CET 2008

Florian,

>> http://www.drbd.org/users-guide/s-resolve-split-brain.html
>> "At this point, you must manually intervene"
>> A link might refer to the section about automatic split-brain recovery.
>
> That is correct too, but it's not there yet because there is, as of now, no
> section on the actual configuration of automatic post-split-brain recovery
> strategies exists. This is on the to-do list.

I just had this in mind:
http://www.drbd.org/users-guide/s-auto-split-brain-recovery.html

But if you want to write more on that - very well :)

>> http://www.drbd.org/users-guide/ch-heartbeat.html
>> R1 can only deal with heartbeat and LSB Resources. OCF Resources are for
>> R2 only.
>> You even say so:
>> http://www.drbd.org/users-guide/s-xen-heartbeat.html
>> Although - there is a wrapper for R1 that makes it possible to use OCF
>> RAs in R1, but I don't know how to use it and wether that should be
>> stated in this place.
>
> It makes so little sense to do this that we're taking the liberty not to
> include this. :-)

The wrapper? Okay.

But you should not state, Heartbeat R1 could handle OCF resources. That
is - out of the box - not possible.

>> http://www.drbd.org/users-guide/s-heartbeat-r1.html
>> "Resource group support is limited to two resource groups"
>> Thats not true.
>> You can have more than two resource groups. It's just that more than 2
>> groups are internally treated as one large group per node.
>
> OK, then isn't "limited to two resource groups" a reasonable simplification
> for users?

Of course you are somewhat right, that it can only handle two resource
groups, as it can only handle 2 resource groups ...

But ...
That does not mean a user can not configure and use more than 2 resource
groups. What heartbeat internally makes of it is nothing the user should
have to deal with.

>> http://www.drbd.org/users-guide/s-heartbeat-dopd.html
>> This does not mention the difference in configurations with stonith
>> enabled. You might at least place a link to the blog here.
>
> I'm not sure I follow you there; please clarify.

Well okay, the blog didn't mention that either, sorry.

In general, I think a section about resource fencing is missing. That's
propably what I missed.

>> http://www.drbd.org/users-guide/s-xen-internal.html
>> Although it *should* be clear, you could state that one needs to copy
>> block-drbd to /etc/xen/scripts
>> Or is block-drbd a part of xen by now?
>
> It's a part of the DRBD distribution that automatically installs
> into /etc/xen/scripts.

Cool. Didn't know that. And as "cp" doesn't ask, my copying will
propably just have overwritten the one you already installed :)

Regards
Dominik