[DRBD-user] drbdadm verify all seems to produce false positives on ext3 and crash the server

Brian Candler B.Candler at pobox.com
Tue Jun 24 14:14:59 CEST 2008

On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 10:42:37AM +0200, Eric Marin wrote:
> Maybe the crossover ethernet cable is simply bad (!)

Aside: I'd say this is unlikely. A packet corrupted on the wire would have
to pass both the ethernet CRC check and the TCP checksum. That is, there
would have to a very severe problem at layer 1 that it could occasionally
bypass the protections at layers 2 and 3 - there would also be lots of
packet loss and very poor TCP performance.

To be more sure you can look for errors using netstat -i. If those counters
are zero then you can be pretty sure that the cabling is not the problem.

Regarding RAM: the type which detects and/or corrects errors is called
"ECC". As well as having the right type of RAM, your motherboard needs to
support ECC, and have it enabled, to get this protection.

Regards,

Brian.