[DRBD-user] What causes nodes to become out-of-sync?

Jeffrey Froman drbd.tcijf at olympus.net
Mon Jul 21 18:53:09 CEST 2008

Hello,

> what are the sorts of things that might be causing
> blocks to become out-of-sync on this resource?

A bit of follow-up: verification errors have been hitting us this week
with increased frequency. We are using Protocol C for replication of
a 135GB resource, and the secondary device reports no disk errors of
any kind.

Yet verification continues to fail -- now up to about 3 times per week
(checked daily). We now feel rather unconfident that we can switch
roles on the two nodes reliably at any time, since we have no idea
when or why synchronization is breaking.

Is it possible that we are experiencing a race condition between
verification and replication, and that the blocks which verification
finds out-of-sync have actually just been updated by normal
replication between nodes during the checksum comparison?

If so, is there any option that will force retries of failed checksum
comparisons for each block that is compared during verification?

Is there anything else I can add to my configuration to help determine
exactly when these blocks are falling out-of-sync?

Any suggestions appreciated. The configuration for this resource is
detailed below.

Thank you,
Jeffrey

resource r0 {
    protocol C;
    syncer {
        rate 100M;
        verify-alg sha1;
    }

    net {
        cram-hmac-alg sha1;
        shared-secret "secret";
    }

    handlers {
        out-of-sync "/opt/drbd/handlers/out-of-sync.sh
$DRBD_RESOURCE";
    }

    disk {
        size 143372060K;
        on-io-error pass_on;
    }

    on host1 {
        device     /dev/drbd0;
        disk       /dev/sdc1;
        address    172.21.103.113:7788;
        meta-disk  /dev/sda10[0];
    }

    on host2 {
        device     /dev/drbd0;
        disk       /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol02;
        address    172.21.103.114:7788;
        meta-disk  /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol03[0];
    }
}