[DRBD-user] drbd Performance

Christian Balzer chibi at gol.com
Thu Jul 17 07:56:33 CEST 2008

Hello,

On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 19:12:56 +0200 Lars Marowsky-Bree wrote:

> Putting the metadata on a different, independent avoids this. SSDs are
> really cool for this, as the metadata is also very small (just 128MB per
> device).

I have been pondering this for a while, too. The potentially slow write
speeds are probably not that big an issue, but I'm very afraid of the
flash memory in the SSD wearing out before the typical life time of a
server here (4 years). And yes, that is considering wear-leveling, take a
peak at http://wiki.eeeuser.com/ssd_write_limit for example.
Now given a large enough disk and effective enough wear-leveling, things
_should_ be fine, but the metadata will be written to basically 100% of
the time in my servers. Anybody with a working crystal ball around? :-p

Regards,

Christian
--
Christian Balzer        Network/Systems Engineer                NOC
chibi at gol.com   	Global OnLine Japan/Fusion Network Services