[DRBD-user] backing up - which is best solution to provide 99.99% uptime?

nathan at robotics.net nathan at robotics.net
Wed Jul 16 19:01:36 CEST 2008

On Wed, 16 Jul 2008, Bob Goldberg wrote:

> SO - here's what I really want: 2 server's fully redundant with each other -
> running several vmware virtual servers. If 1 system fails, the other system
> seemlessly provides access to the virtual servers,  without any interruption
> of service to the network. I would prefer a solution which only requires 2
> physical servers.

Ok, can be done.

> Here's my current solution: drbd with HA (high availability)
> What I'm finding, is that HA is not an "instant" availability solution. So
> now I'm wondering if I need some other clustering solution.
>
> Anyone have suggestions on what's the best solution, and which applications
> provide same?

I can't tell you if it is the best solution or not, but I have the above
working. I am running gfs2 ontop of lvm2-cluster on drbd in primary /
primary mode, HA is done with cman and IPMI fencing.

P.S. I am using 10 gig infiniband for DRBD to keep all that traffic off
the ethernet interfaces. If you look on ebay you can buy it for next to
nothing, I paid about $45 for the 10 gig cards, $35 for cables and $400
for a switch.

><>
Nathan Stratton                                CTO, BlinkMind, Inc.
nathan at robotics.net                         nathan at blinkmind.com
http://www.robotics.net                        http://www.blinkmind.com